Social media marketing is an option to devote smart marketing efforts to targeted potential customers active on different social media platforms locally and internationally.
Social media platforms and networks are about people connecting, interacting, and sharing online content. Hardly a day goes by without hearing about remarkable success stories from businesses getting active on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Social Media Overview
The best way to define social media is to break it down. Media is an instrument for communication, like a newspaper or a radio, so social media would be a social instrument for communication.
Think of regular media as a one-way street where you can read a newspaper or watch a report on television, but you have very limited ability to engage and demonstrate your own opinion.
Social media, on the other hand, is a two-way street that gives you the ability to communicate too.
Social Media is more than an option for your business
The days of considering social networks as just an optional marketing strategy for your business are over. In 2011, social networks became a powerful tool for businesses.
Social networks like Facebook are not only where people interact with people they know personally, but it’s how they get information about products and businesses.
- More than 850 million active users
- More than 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- More than 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- The average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups, and events
- More than 100 million users
- More than 1 billion tweets per week
- Average user follows over 120 accounts
Social Media Umbrella
Social media is a broad term, it covers a large range of websites but the one common link between these websites is that you are able to interact with the website and interact with other visitors.
Examples of social media websites
- Social Bookmarking: (Pinterest, Delicious, Blinklist, Simpy)
Interact by tagging websites and searching through websites bookmarked by other people.
- Social News: (Digg, Propeller, Reddit)
Interact by voting for articles and commenting on them.
- Social Networking: (Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, Last.FM)
Interact by adding friends, commenting on profiles, joining groups and having discussions.
- Social Photo and Video Sharing: (YouTube, Flickr, Instagram) Interact by sharing photos or videos and commenting on user submissions.
- Wikis: (Wikipedia, Wiki)
Interact by adding articles and editing existing articles. And these websites are not the only social media websites. Any website that invites you to interact with the site and with other visitors falls into the definition of social media.
Social Media is a Customer relationship management platform (CRM)
Social Media can be considered as customer relationship management platforms. In fact, Social Media enables CRM to increase the brand and connections with customers, get interactive and be more receptive.
Social media helps in increasing brand awareness, creating a positive brand positioning and thereby encouraging loyalty, improve customer service performance.
Those organizations willing to invest the time and resources required to develop and support a strong virtual presence are gaining practically unlimited access to consumers’ behaviors insights, opinions about the company products and services.
Outsourcing this invaluable data into a CRM solution generates sales leads, ideas for product direction and strengthens a company’s image and brand. As a result, those companies that use the strongest social CRM integrations will increase revenue, expand market share, improve their corporate image, fine-tune product development to offer items with the most wished-for features or capabilities.
Social Media Optimization
Social Media Optimization (SMO) or Social SEO is the methodization of social media activity with the intent of attracting unique visitors to your business website content pages. SMO is one of two online methods of website optimization, the other method is search engine optimization or SEO.
What social media marketing does for businesses?
- Word of mouth: On the Internet, information spreads in no time everywhere. You can get your message out to thousands or even millions of current and potential customers. They extend your marketing messages and drive your website traffic. Let your customers do your selling for you.
- Listen to your customers: What are people saying about your products or services? Social media gives you the opportunity to hear what people think of your product. You can use that information to promote your product more effectively by emphasizing the aspects of your product that people need the most. You can also engage directly with consumers to help them solve problems, and create a strategy for changing how you make or market your product.
- Engage prospects: Interact with customers in different phases in their buying journey. Answer their questions, or watch other consumers answer for you.
- Build trust and loyalty: Once you’ve built a community base in your social networks, and as you spend time interacting with them, they will trust you more than before and they will know more about you and your business. What does this mean? More customers.
We are available to answer any related questions and provide advice on how to get started on social media marketing for your business. Feel free to pick our brains.
Contact Sendian Creations today and see how we can help