The current and future years are the era of e-commerce business (online stores) rather than physical stores as e-commerce has added exceptional growth to commerce in general as sales volume increased by 21% with more than 1,000,000 million products sold online every day and the e-commerce revenues expected to reach 5 trillion US dollars by the year 2021.
More growth in any business filed including e-commerce business equals more competition with many alternative online stores offering the same products you offer with competitive prices and better online shopping experience.
Your e-commerce business will lose desired market share if you didn’t start improving your business in all aspects (website technical issues – website content – marketing plan – shopping experience) and continue evolving to maintain desired market share and continue growing and expanding to different markets and demographics.
In this article, we will discuss powerful technical tips plus 12 effective e-commerce marketing techniques in another article to improve your e-commerce business in all possible aspects to reach the desired satisfaction levels from potential customers, attract and maintain more customers, increase your e-commerce business awareness and achieve higher ROI with integrated business plan and process.
Top 8 tips for improving your e-commerce business
We will discuss different technical issues that could prevent your e-commerce business (online store) from achieving the desired results related to daily sales volume, number of new and returning customers and the shopping experience for all customers.
1. User-friendly Website
The main focus in your online store is to provide the best possible user experience for the website visitors (your e-commerce business potential customers).
The main aspects to focus on in the user experience issue are:
- Increasing the loading speed for all pages especially landing pages
- Classifying products under related categories & subcategories
- Providing a search bar with autocomplete & search filter options
- Adding social media login options & easy signup process
- Constructing an appealing user interface while using colors psychology in design
- Fewer clicks to reach the desired pages (breadcrumbs navigation pattern)
- Providing a 404 page for removed products pages to redirect to related products
- Suggesting related products on each product page
- Adding FAQ page including answers to all frequent questions among your potential customers
- Adding a “Contact us” page accessible from the navigation bar with all contact information and methods included
- Adding your business social media accounts icon to the website with links to these accounts
- Add a “Live Chat” option to your website to help potential customers through their shopping journey as live chat solutions increase the desire to buy by 21%
2. Mobile-friendly online store
The majority of search queries and e-commerce stores visits are currently done through mobiles as human spends more than 3 hours per day active online on their mobile phones.
Your e-commerce business website should be mobile-friendly with responsive web design and the navigation & shopping experience tested to provide the easiest navigation for mobile users starting from exploring different products’ pages to the finalizing of purchasing on the checkout page.
3. Security Guarantees for online shoppers
Your e-commerce business potential customers will be cautious to browse your website or completing a payment unless they’re 110% confident of your website security.
There are many security guarantees to use to increase customers’ trust including:
- Buying SSL certificate to turn your website to a secure online store as it’s used for encrypting sensitive information and to be available for only intended users
- Using “Two-Factor” authentication in payment processes using emails and mobile phones to confirm payment codes
- Asking for strong passwords from users including capital, small characters, numbers & symbols
The more secure your e-commerce store is, the more confident your customers to order from your online store with no security concerns that delay or prevent completing a purchase.
4. Payment Options & Gateways
70% of online shoppers abandon their shopping carts mainly due to complicated payment process which require many non-adding value steps that encourage online shoppers not to proceed further in their payments.
It’s essential to add popular payment options like PayPal and popular payment methods in each country your potential customers originate from to encourage them to complete the payment process plus adding secure gateway (third-party responsible for taking the money from the customer and send it to your business bank account) to ensure more security in money transfers.
5. Optimizing the website for search engines (SEO)
There’s a golden opportunity for any e-commerce business to take advantage of when you create and execute suitable search engine optimization (SEO) strategy to reach a higher ranking in the search results of potential customers to generate more free organic profitable traffic.
There are many aspects to cover when you start optimizing your e-commerce website (online store) for search engine and users (the website visitors):
- Keywords Research: generate a list of short, medium & long-tail keywords used by your potential customers in search queries to be used in the web content
- On-Page Optimization: focusing on optimizing each page (Title – Meta Description – Headings – Content) to increase click-through-rate for search results & conversions for landing pages
- User Experience: focusing on improving the navigation experience for the website visitors to explore desired product pages and related products with ease until completing a purchase with a connected website structure.
- Informative Blog Posts: adding more value to the website visitors with informative blog posts involving useful tips and hacks about your product like “How-To” posts
- Link Building Strategy: Crafting a link building strategy to gain more external links from websites and online communities with the audience interested in what your e-commerce business is offering
- Voice Search: Prepare your website for voice search with a clear copy using long-tail targeted keywords on each product page as 20% to 50% mobile search queries are voice searches
- Website Maintenance: Perform regular website maintenance and performance monitoring using webmaster tools like Google Search Console tools to reduce downtime to minimal to avoid losing customers to other e-commerce stores
6. Native mobile apps for your e-commerce business
Having a responsive e-commerce website for mobile users is essential but developing native mobile apps for your e-commerce business customers of Android & iOS users is a powerful competitive advantage.
70% of online shoppers’ activity is done through mobile which makes a clever decision to develop a professional mobile app for your e-commerce business to add another reachable platform for customers to explore your business products, new offers and communicate with your business representatives through private messaging and support options available in your business mobile app.
7. Monitor The website performance using Google Analytics
You can define weaknesses in your e-commerce business websites using Google Analytics metrics and reports to generate useful data about:
- The online store daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually visits volume
- The audience demographics (age – gender – geolocation – interests – devices used)
- The channels that generated visits to your website (returning visitor – search engines – social media channels – referral websites)
- The buyers’ behavior (average session duration – average pages visited per session – bounce rate – conversions completed)
- Long-term performance comparisons for different time periods
- Tracking advertising campaigns regarding visits volume, average revenue per each transaction
With the insightful reports generated from Google Analytics platform, you will be able to reach a valid evaluation of your e-commerce business performance.
8. Outsource professional help for weaknesses
It’s not an excuse to have no knowledge regarding marketing, web design and development or any functions related to how to fail in managing your e-commerce business for your e-commerce business failure.
Hire an experienced marketing agency for providing e-commerce solutions or internal marketing or development team to add value to e-commerce business in your weakness areas to guarantee achieving desired results, utilizing all financial resources & products inventory and gaining the desired market share.
Contact Sendian Creations today for customized e-commerce solutions