We have discussed in a previous article powerful technical tips for improving your e-commerce business and now we will focus about e-commerce marketing techniques that proved to be effective in transforming any e-commerce business from a local amateur business to a successful platform for gaining, maintaining customers and achieving a higher return on investment (ROI).
We will discuss in details all aspect of e-commerce marketing focusing on which platforms to invade for your e-commerce business marketing plan, successful e-commerce marketing techniques and strategies and how to provide an exceptional shopping experience for each customer encouraging potential and current customers to be loyal customers and choose your online store over competitors.
Top 12 effective e-commerce marketing techniques
No small or large business has ever succeeded in achieving business awareness and attracting new long-term customers without a planned marketing strategy and innovative e-commerce marketing techniques that add value to current and potential customers.
We will go over e-commerce marketing techniques that have added remarkable value for e-commerce businesses regarding gaining and maintaining the desired market share.
1. Invade suitable social media channels
Everyone is aware of social media marketing value in increasing brand awareness but it’s not the only benefit of using social media platforms in e-commerce marketing as it can help your e-commerce business in many aspects including:
- Increase engagement with your business using valuable interesting content
- Drive more traffic to your e-commerce website (online store)
- Generate more leads through paid ads
- Improve customer service performance through personal communication options
The first step to achieve all of the above goals is to choose suitable social media channels for promoting your e-commerce business from popular social media channels then you should create a social media marketing strategy to define all goals and steps of your business presence on social media in addition to create engaging content for followers that is mainly about adding value to potential customers not promoting your business products.
It’s not about 2 or 3 promotional posts every weak in each popular social media network but it’s about creating an engaging community of potential customers on social media through informative posts, reaching more audience through social trends and communication more privately & effortlessly with your current and potential customers to answer all of their questions and provide better customer service.
Social media insights will help you to evaluate if your e-commerce marketing campaign on social media has achieved the desired goals regarding targeting specific customers’ demographics, the engagement level with your business and if it helped your business to attract and retain more customers.
2. Use ultra-quality media content
Publishing product pages with a main image of the product is not an effective technique for e-commerce marketing either on the website or social media channels.
Using ultra-quality media content types including HD or 4K product previewing videos or “How-to” use videos plus 360-degree panoramic images in product pages will improve how you showcase your e-commerce business products for potential customers providing a closer professional view for your products and their optimal uses.
3. Create an appealing copy for product pages
Many e-commerce businesses commit the same mistake of listing each product on a page of the website with long irritating descriptive text that discourages potential customers from going further in their shopping process and not to complete a purchase.
An effective e-commerce marketing technique is creating an appealing copy for each product page consisting of:
- The product main completive advantages (features – price – discount offers)
- HD or 4K or 360-degree images or videos of the product or both
- Diversified CTAs encouraging customers to buy by highlighting a main competitive advantage like how much money you’ll save if you choose our product
4. Integrated Advertising Campaigns
If you choose paid ads as a solution in your e-commerce marketing plan, then you should the suitable platforms (online / offline) to target potential customers depending on their interests with integrated advertising campaigns focusing on the same products or offers in the same period on some or all of the following advertising solutions:
- Commercial Ads on TV and Radio channels & Print ads to reach more audience
- Social media ads to generate more web traffic and leads especially Facebook ads
- Search engine ads to reach customers when they search using targeted keywords
- Google shopping ads to present your products for interested potential customers
- YouTube ads and banner ads for reaching customers with visual content ads
- Mobile marketing campaigns for new products or offers through SMS
Analyze each campaign performance to define the most suitable advertising solutions that drive more sales and leads with allocated advertising budget to focus on them for future advertising campaigns.
5. Remarketing ads for potential customers
Many visitors (potential customers) of any online store don’t proceed to the checkout page after exploring a product page due to many reasons and here comes the advantage of remarketing campaigns as an effective e-commerce marketing technique to encourage them to buy when they are ready in the future.
Remarketing ads is about retargeting potential customers who visited your online store but didn’t complete a purchase using data extracted from your e-commerce business Google Analytics reports and retargeting them with search engine ads or social media ads using Facebook Pixel code added to your website to present related products to their activity on your website.
6. Perform A/B tests on landing pages
Whether your website is receiving organic free traffic from or paid traffic from advertising campaigns, you should analyze the buyers’ behavior on your e-commerce website with analytics reports focusing on bounce rate, average session duration, average pages visited per session and completed conversions metrics to evaluate the website performance and define weaknesses.
If the landing pages for potential customers’ performance is not satisfying then you have to perform A/B tests on landing pages with alternative web designs and content formats to choose the most effective ones for your landing pages based on traffic and conversions statistics.
7. Email Marketing Campaigns
Another effective e-commerce marketing technique is launching email marketing campaigns using available data of current & potential customers to achieve many marketing goals including:
- Recover customers with abandoned shopping carts with new products or offers emails
- Remarketing emails for customers with unfinished purchasing steps
- Product review emails to evaluate customers’ satisfaction
- Customers’ needs survey emails to focus on specific products to provide
- Notification emails about new offers or new blog posts
8. Adopt influencers marketing strategy
Influencers marketing is another effective e-commerce marketing technique as it’s proved to achieve desired brand awareness and increase trust from your targeted audience when you initiate business relationships with influencers to publish positive reviews about your products or spreading the word about your brand and new offers, discounts or flash sales.
Be careful when you choose influencers and public figures to promote your e-commerce business as publicly hated influencers despite having a huge number of followers they are bad publicity for your business.
9. Apply reward program for loyal customers
Many online stores are out there on the internet with mainly the same products you’re selling so customers need to be appreciated for choosing your e-commerce store over competitors and to encourage them to be loyal customers.
One of successful e-commerce marketing techniques is to apply a reward program for loyal customers as they will be awarded bonus points for their purchases to be used as a deduction from future purchases cost encouraging them to be your business loyal customers.
10. Focus on scarcity & urgency
When you’re promoting your e-commerce business products or new offers or a flash sale, focus on urgency highlighting that the products are only available with these prices for a limited period and a limited number of products to encourage them to make buying decisions quicker.
11. Use public reviews and user-generated content
Public reviews of your e-commerce business products or the shopping experience will play a vital role in gaining the trust of potential customers when they are surrounded by positive reviews about your e-commerce store in product pages or across social media channels.
Encourage user-generated content as 20% of online shoppers base their buying decisions on recommendations and public reviews through social media posts or comments, images of customers using the products or online contests and surveys about their preferences of different products with your reward program for loyal and engaging customers (bonus points – discount coupons – free giveaways).
12. Provide exceptional shopping experience
Remember that you’re selling the shopping experience not only the product as many online stores will sell the same products with competitive prices.
Providing exceptional shopping experience is the most effective e-commerce marketing technique and there are many aspects to cover to provide the desired shopping experience including:
- Add detailed shipping information (duration – cost) on each product page
- Add free shipping offers for new and loyal customers in local areas
- Add a clear return policy (acceptable return causes – deadline for returns) on each product page
- Add a wish-to-buy list option to bookmark favorite products for future purchases
- Provide helpful professional customer service through many options (Live chat – contact numbers – social media accounts)
- Follow up with customers till receiving their products
- “Thank you for choosing Us” emails or messages when a customer completes a purchase
- Flash sale offers in every shopping season
You’re not on your own when it comes to e-commerce marketing as you can easily search online for helpful e-commerce informative content or hiring an experienced marketing agency specialized in providing customized e-commerce solutions to achieve your e-commerce business desired goals.
Contact Sendian Creations today for professional help with your e-commerce business