The need for a successful Ecommerce SEO strategy is inevitable as online Ecommerce stores are competing fiercely to rank higher in commercial search results to generate more organic free traffic to the online store of potential customers who are highly willing to convert through completing at least one purchase transaction.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a long-term tough battle that requires consistent improvement for your Ecommerce website through following a customized suitable strategy guidelines to reach the first position for desired search results and Ecommerce SEO is a more tough battle as they’re hundreds or maybe thousands of stores competing for the same keywords related to products or product categories as the expected return is more than the expected return for any other types of websites.
Why Ecommerce SEO is important?
The important questions now are why to invest time and available resources in developing a customized Ecommerce SEO strategy? And what’s the return of ranking in the first page of desired search results?
More than 45% of online shopping transactions start on search engines when a potential customer performs a search with transaction search queries like using the name of desired products and in more than 90% of cases, they will visits only the first 3 results of websites and online stores of the first search results page.
If we rephrased that, applying effective Ecommerce SEO strategy will enable your e-commerce store “website” to rank in the first search results related to available products will generate organic free traffic from potential customers who are willing to buy available products if they match their desires and budgets.
Generating consistent free traffic to your professional e-commerce store will reduce the need to continuously invest in paid ads through traditional or digital advertising solutions to attract potential customers to your online store.
In addition to decreasing the required e-commerce marketing budget while generating exceptional return on investment, efficient Ecommerce SEO activities will also support other e-commerce marketing techniques applied including social media marketing campaigns, email marketing campaigns or other types of marketing solutions through attracting the targeted audience to your e-commerce website and providing detailed insights about the potential and current customers for retargeting campaigns on other platforms.
Main Ecommerce SEO Strategy Steps
Ranking in the first search results for targeted commercial search queries is the outcome of a detailed Ecommerce SEO strategy and applying define steps and suitable efficient techniques to capitalize on the benefits of professional search engine optimization processes.
The main steps for an efficient Ecommerce SEO strategy are:
#1. Ecommerce Keywords Research
Ecommerce keywords research is more technical and critical than keywords research and choosing process for other types of websites as your main aim to choose keywords suitable for transactional search quires that are performed by potential customers in order to find suitable products to satisfy their needs and eventually buying them from the e-commerce store that appears in the first search results and provides exceptional online shopping experience.
Keywords research is essential for your Ecommerce SEO strategy as targeted chosen keywords will be involved in the content for product and category pages, the website structure “Categories – Sections – URLs” and the content in your e-commerce blog to guarantee effective targeted for desired search results.
Choosing suitable keywords using reliable keywords research tools should be based on:
- Acceptable monthly search volume for your industry
- The competition level for targeted keywords
- Relevancy to available products and categories
- Estimated cost per click “the higher, the better”
#2. Improving the Ecommerce Website Structure
The user experience is a critical ranking factor for search engines as they aim to guarantee the best navigation experience for search engine users by displaying only the websites that care about that aspect to decrease the bounce rate of online store visits.
Optimizing your ecommerce website structure for search engines and users is mandatory for your overall Ecommerce SEO efficiency as you will enable:
- Search engines to reach, index and fetch products and category pages to related search queries
- Potential Customers “online store visitors” to reach desired pages with few clicks “3 or less” through optimizing the structure, providing suggestions for related or products pages and efficient search bar
- Distributing or passing the domain authority and link juice from the home page to categories and products pages efficiently
#3. On-page SEO for Product & Category Pages
On-page SEO is a key factor for your e-commerce store to reach higher ranking in targeted search results, increase the clicks on your website search results “CTR”, driving more conversion and sales and the overall success of your Ecommerce SEO plan.
On-page SEO is all about optimizing your e-commerce website content to comply with search engines standards and to encourage potential customers to complete desired actions through:
- Using chosen keywords to optimize titles, Meta descriptions, URLs, headings, images alt text, and video transcripts
- Using action and selling modifiers like “buy / cheap / best / deals / sale / free shipping” for product pages titles and meta descriptions
- Crafting a detailed benefits-focused copy for each product page
- Taking advantage of visual content through uploading high-quality professional product photos, products promotional videos and how-to-use informational videos
- Displaying customer reviews to increase trust
- Linking internal related product or category pages
- Using product review “snippets” schema to influence search engine users
- Adding more value to potential & current customers through related tips and insights in your e-commerce blog
- Adding social media sharing buttons
#4. Handling Ecommerce Technical SEO Issues
Ecommerce websites are known for the many increasing pages for products and categories and with more pages available, there will be more technical SEO aspects & issues to care about.
Efficient Ecommerce SEO process requires performing periodical site audits “weekly or twice a month” to uncover and to handle technical SEO issues to avoid losing achieved higher ranking on search results or providing poor user experience including:
- Mobile optimization issues related to responsive design and navigation experience
- The probability of existing duplicate content, thin content pages “pages with less content than acceptable” and broken links
- Non-indexed worthy products, category, and updated pages
- Databases and financial transactions security concerns
- The website loading speed on different devices “Desktop / Mobile / Tablet”
- The existence of valid updated sitemaps and robots.txt
- The occurrence of many redirects and Not Found “404” pages
#5. Ecommerce Link Building
Ecommerce link building is a tough challenge as not many websites or blogs are willing to refer to a website consists of products rather than valuable related content.
Despite how challenging it is, link building is essential for your Ecommerce SEO strategy as it increases and demonstrates your e-commerce website authority to search engines to improve ranking in targeted search result and to earn referral traffic.
Effective Ecommerce link building strategy will require performing detailed analyses of your backlinks profile and also the competitors’ backlinks profiles to define worthy link building opportunities and your outreach plan.
Choosing the Best Ecommerce SEO Company
We agreed before about how tough and challenging Ecommerce SEO is and it involves many steps, processes, and tasks that require extensive expertise and specific skills to drive the desired results in addition to efforts needed for managing your e-commerce platform operations.
Choosing the best Ecommerce SEO company or conacting a professional SEO agency is the first step to achieve an acceptable return on your investment for your e-commerce store search engine optimization as they will provide professional help and will be responsible for many aspects including but not limited to:
- Performing detailed SEO analysis about your online store
- Developing a detailed Ecommerce SEO strategy
- Improving the website structure, design & usability
- Optimizing your on-page content for users and search engines
- Creating engaging visual content to promote your products & increase sales
- Performing periodic site audits and handling technical SEO issues
- Find link building opportunities to increase the domain authority
- Tracking and measuring performance compared to desired results
Contact us today to develop your e-commerce store SEO strategy